Monday, January 30, 2012

My Weakness, His Strength


“…most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distress, for Christ’s sake.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.”  2 Corinthians 12:9b-10

This scriptural truths found in these verses are not ones easily learned through reflection; rather they are learned through looking back at the difficult times in our lives and realizing how in our past weaknesses God has strengthened us beyond our own abilities.   The important lesson here is to reflect on the provisions and power God has shown He is capable of when in the past you have been weakened by the stresses of life.  And then to take that arsenal of reminders and attack each new weakness with the full assurance that God, who is faithful and never-changing, will again provide in your time of need.

I took the liberty to look up all of the key words in the verses above in their original Greek and wanted to share my more expanded version with you.  I hope this insight along with the experiences of your past will empower you for the struggles you face today.

“…with sweet pleasure I would rather rejoice in my fragility, that the miraculous power of Christ may be superimposed over me like a glorious covering to hide my simple frame.  Therefore I will resolve to willingly accept and abide in any sickness that may come my way, in any insults or hurtful words that pierce my soul, in any constraints or limitations that cause added burdens in my life, in oppositional confrontations that tear at foundations of my faith, and in life dictated limitations which limit my freedoms all for Christ’s sake.  For when I am continuously powerless to do anything on my own, then I am mightily equipped.”

Whether today brings the first or the hundredth opportunity to embrace a weakness of self, just remember each time you take a step of faith to trust in God over your own abilities you are building a legacy covered by the glorious power of Jesus Christ.  A legacy that will last for eternity and be used in ways you could never hope or imagine all because they are done outside the human will and within the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment