Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ups and Downs of Life


Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil; for You are with me;  Psalm 23:4

William Nagenda, the African evangelist, said:  My life is like this ball bouncing on the floor.  Sometimes the devil gives me a blow downwards, but at the deepest spot Jesus is there, and He gives me a blow upwards so that I come up higher than I was before. ..One day the devil will give William a blow downwards so strong that he will go all the way to the valley of the shadow of death.  There Jesus will give William a blow upwards so strong that he will come into heaven.  The devil will say, ‘Where is William?  I don’t see him anymore!’”

That quote makes me laugh, yet at the same time I know it reflects the experiences I have in my own life of joy, sorrow, and an ever increasing desire to be with Jesus for eternity.

Yes, life is guaranteed to bring blows downwards.  And thankfully, Jesus is faithful in bringing back up those who have been pushed down.  They key to living in the ups and downs of life is not to fight the downward push by putting all of your energy into stopping the fall nor living in stifled fear anticipating when the next blow will come.  Rather, the key to living in the ups and downs of life is to stand strong in the Lord and have faith that the upwards blow is just around the corner. 

The great mystery enveloped in this lesson is that what the devil has all intention to use for harm against the believer, Jesus Christ as intended to use to bring you closer to His glory. 

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.  2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Do not lose heart today if a blow has you spiraling downward.  You can rest assured that your Savior is waiting to push you back to the heights of joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment