Monday, February 20, 2012

Are You Feeling too Weary to Quench Your Thirst?


 “…whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.” John 4:14

 

Being thirsty and only thinking about water does not make your thirst go away.  Instead you need to physically go after the substance that will satisfy your thirst – you must make the effort while you are thirsty to take into your body a source that will satisfy your need.  Similarly, spiritual thirst must be quenched through an act, not just a good intention. 


Have you been thirsty lately?  Thirsty for God and for a spiritual filling that cannot be drained? Do any of these spoken spiritual frustrations describe you when you thinking about the task of quenching your thirst?
  • “I feel overwhelmed with the tasks I have to do today and every day, so much so that spending time at the well has not been a priority.” 
  • “My bucket has some leaks that need mending and I am just not sure how to go about fixing them so that drawing the water I need will not be completely frustrating.” 
  • “The well is just too deep and the effort needed to draw water is just too consuming for me right now.  I just can't face the well on my own.”
  • “I am not sure that the water Jesus offers is what I am looking for.  There are so many other drinks that are much more enticing and they do not require the same effort or commitment that drawing from the well does.”

Do not be discouraged about the set-backs you feel or even realize in your life.  There are periods in each of our lives when we have the time, the equipment, the energy, and the reassurance to draw water on our own, yet there are other times when we need the help of a friend in Christ to help us draw the water we need for each passing day.

Over the next 7 days I am going to commit to you to be your friend in Jesus who will help you get to the “living water”, so you may drink and be filled and refreshed.  I will be blogging a short bible study each day with scripture and related questions.  I hope you will join me and also invite some friends to come along.  Also feel free to share in the comments sections about how God has worked to quench your thirst as you study along.  Sharing is a great way to encourage others to drink more deeply and stay committed to the studying God's word.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment