Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cargo of Indescribable Worth


“Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!”  2 Corinthians 9:15

A boy once wrote:  “Stewardship means that life is a great ship, loaded with rich cargo to be delivered to many peoples in many places.  God is the owner, but I am the captain.”  This quote reminds me of a song written by Steven Curtis Chapman that relates being awarded the gift of Christ into a believers’ life to winning the grand prize on a once popular television game show.  The song goes:  “I get a phone call from Regis - he says "Do you want to be a millionaire?" They put me on a show and I win with two lifelines to spare.  I act like nothing ever happened and bury all the money in a coffee can.  Well, I’ve been given more than Regis ever gave away – I was a dead man who was called to come out of my grave…”

Jesus is that great cargo all of us Christians carry for the purpose of delivering Him to many peoples in many places.  Jesus is the prize that is greater than anything we can ever win on a game show.  The gift of Jesus is not for us to horde or put away for safe keeping.   Rather, the gift of Jesus should excite us so much that we are compelled to proclaim to the world the nature of the “indescribable gift” we have been given.

Lately I have realized my lack of fervor to share the gospel and impress on others the gift that is beyond description.   From that realization, I have begun asking God to show me and ignite in me again the passion I see missing in my life.  In relating my situation to that of a captain I have begun to realize some of the things that have taken me away from my passion.

For instance:
As a captain of a ship it may become easy to get focused on the supplies I have on hand, just as in my life I can get too focused on providing for my daily needs instead of resting in God’s divine provision for those things.

As a captain of a ship it may become easy to get focused on navigating around obstacles and storms that may look like they are headed my way, just as in my life I can get too focused on avoiding difficult situations instead of resting in the hands of the One who controls the storms that may enter my life.

As a captain of a ship it may become easy to get focused on the how others may view the success of my voyages, just as in my life I can get too focused on how others perceive me and how successful my life may be in regards to worldly standards instead of resting in pleasing God alone.

As a captain of a ship it may become easy to lose sight of my mission by allowing myself to be brought into the petty bickering of my crew, just as in my life I can lose sight of God and His mission when I allow the discontent and grumbling others to side track me and entangle in issues that are not mine instead of leaving judgment in the hands of the One True Judge.

My main goal as the captain is to please the owner of the ship and to make a profit for His kingdom.  If I make that goal my main focus and understand that the owner’s instructions for my voyage are perfect, it is then I regain my passion for the voyage and my fervor to deliver the most prized cargo a captain could ever imagine being given the honor of transporting.  The gift of Jesus – the only giver of eternal life!

No comments:

Post a Comment