Monday, March 5, 2012

Love Letter from Proverbs


“My [daughter], if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding; yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.”  Proverbs 2:1-5

Today I have decided to do something a bit different than what I have done in the past on my blog.  I want to take you through a way of looking at scripture in a more personal and deeply meaning way – by making it into a letter.  Also, I am going to add my own twist by doing an exposition on some of the words in the highlighted verses from their original Hebrew meanings (All of my research has been accumulated from Zodhiates reference book The Complete Word Study Old Testament).  I hope you enjoy seeing God’s word from this new perspective and that it speaks to your heart in a profound way today.

First I am going to take the key words, which I underlined in the scripture verse above, and give the tense and the original Hebrew meaning of each word or word group (this is done because from Hebrew to English there is not always a one-to-one word translation.).  I will also include the Strong’s reference number for your benefit so if you want to look up the word for yourself in that common reference tool you can. 

  • receive (3947) = the simple act of accepting
  • treasure (6845) = the simple act of protecting a secret
  • incline your ear (7181) = the cursive action which makes one focus on really listening
  • apply your heart (5186) = the cursive action of spreading your heart out to cover all things
  • cry out (7121) = the simple act of breaking the silence
  • lift up your voice (5414) = the simple act putting your voice into its proper place
  • seek (1245) = a resultant action which brings one to a place of searching through worship
  • search (2664) = the simple act of disguising or masking something under a cover
  • hidden treasure (4301) = the absolute or most wonderful treasure/booty
  • understand (995) = the simple act of discerning, of separating truths from lies
  • find (4672) = the simple act of revealing
  • fear of the Lord (3374) = the absolute act of reverence
  • knowledge (1847) = the absolute state of knowing all

Now, onto the letter.   Please insert your name in the blank and see how the clarification of the scripture speaks to your heart:

Dear __________________, if you accept my words, written and spoken to you, and you protect in a secret place within you the commands I have given you, so as a result your listening is focused on real wisdom and your heart is completely emptied and ready to soak in My godly ways; yes if you stop holding back and stop trying to do everything on your own but instead break the silence and call out to Me for discernment and call out even more so for knowing how to apply My wisdom to your situations, if you seek My ways among your life like a person seeking for a valuable treasure and then apply yourself to digging deeply in the place where that treasure is found, then _______________ My ways about you will be revealed to you and your only reaction will be complete reverence and worship as you get a glimpse of My all encompassing understanding.  ~ God

I hope this personalize letter to you from God has touched you as it originally touched me.  Each time I through the exercise of digging deeper into God’s word, I am never disappointed.  May the letter above spur you on also to dig deep of God’s hidden treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment