Sunday, April 8, 2012

Expecting Earnestly yet Waiting Patiently


“For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.  Romans 8:18-25

This morning felt I needed to wait with my regular blogging.  I enjoyed the extra rest from sleeping a bit longer, and I headed off to church with a song in my heart and with thoughts circling around my head over the marvelous triumph Jesus had over the grave. 

I really thought after I had time to celebrate the resurrection all morning and get in my weekly Sunday nap this afternoon that I would still desire to write about something related to Easter:  the angels, the open tomb, or maybe about the appearance of Jesus to his disciples.  But since you probably already heard those messages many times before and probably also this morning while you were at church, I was excited when God put the above verses in front of me.

Easter is a wonderful celebration and the completed work on the cross is the hope we hold tight as Christians.  Yet, we on this earth, those yet to be born, and the entire earth and universe we live in have yet to experience the resurrection – we only know it will happen for us.  As the above passage states, we live in the hope of our resurrection yet to come.  We live for what we know to be true for our futures and in the future of mankind, and yet it is not tangible, nothing we can touch – it is yet to be seen.

To this end we must persevere.  We must eagerly await the coming of our hope.  We must keep our eyes fixed on the author and finisher of all we have put our faith in to bring that final resurrection about – Jesus Christ and His triumph over the grave.

I know my heart yearns for the greatest resurrection party of all time.  I can’t wait to walk in on the red carpet – the carpet that is the blood shed by the Lamb of God for my sins so that I can approach the doors to the party, state my name and be allowed admittance because my name was on the guest list. What a wonderful party it will be!  A party worth all of the pain, suffering, and waiting I must endure now.  Don’t get discouraged today in the midst of your waiting.  Instead focus on the party you have already been invited to that is just around the corner.  I can’t wait to see you all there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment