Tuesday, April 17, 2012

God, the Speaker Who Keeps Speaking


“My son, if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding; yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.”  Proverbs 2:1-5

As I sat outside the ballroom in which I was to be speaking in this past Saturday, I watched the conference attendees bustle from one seminar to the next as a way to pass the time.  I love people watching and it is always so fun to see mothers toting their little babies, parents enjoying breaks with their teenagers, and couples walking hand-in-hand (yes it was a home schooling conference as that is not the norm for a typical conference).  It is to these conferences the attendees go to be able to break away from the normal pace of life, to get instruction in areas they sense a need for wisdom, and to be inspired to continue on the path that God has set before them. 

When I speak, I am humbled by the great privilege of being able to bring refreshment, wisdom, and inspiration to those who have come to listen to my messages.  It is times like these that bring necessary reorientations into our lives because our human nature always seems to be seeking for that easier road to follow.  This draw we seem to have within ourselves to realign our ways to God is usually why we as Christians go to retreats, conferences, and camps – so we can stay on the straight and narrow path the Lord has set before us and be rallied to keep fighting the good fight.  That is the reason God calls us to gather, so we can encourage one another and spur one another on toward good works.

But I do believe there is a warning to be taken in these types of pursuits also.  When we allow ourselves to become so thirsty and we seek for others to pour out lessons for our weary soul more than we find ourselves coming to a quiet place before the Lord to have Him fill us directly, we sometimes forget that it is God who was the One who quenched our thirst through the speaker and not the speaker directly or some special relationship the speaker has with God that allowed us to drink in God’s inspiration and wisdom.  I think that is why when we leave these places of encouragement we have the tendency to carry that spiritual high for a while and then we plummet again right back to where we had been before – weary and searching.

For that reason, I wanted to pick apart Proverbs 2: 1-5 and share some instruction on how God desires for each of us to be filled and come into His high place of instruction each and every day.  I hope you enjoy the study of the Hebrew meanings of the words from the verses.  I pray that from the insight you gain you will be able to see how God desires to be a speaker in your life each day.  One who will inspire you, give you rest, provide you wisdom, and lead you in His knowledge as you allow Him that privilege.

Below I have listed out the Hebrew direct translation of each of word I have chosen from the text to expand.  After those words then, I have re-written the verses of Proverbs 2:1-5 to incorporate those expanded meanings plus put blanks in the verse for you to add your name and to personalize this scripture.  If you should want to make this lesson even more meaningful I would suggest that you take these definitions and re-write the scriptures for yourself.  Enjoy the hunt for truth and knowledge.

“receive” – accept
“treasure” – to keep secret or protect
“incline your ear” – really focusing on listening, not just by chance overhearing
“apply your heart” – spreading your heart out to cover everything
“cry out” – break the silence
“seek” – to search out through worship
“search as for hidden treasure” – uncover the disguised booty
“understand” – discern OR separate truth from lies
“find” – reveal
“fear the Lord” – revere Him
“knowledge” – the absolute state of knowing all there is to know

“________, if you accept My words written and spoken to you, and you protect them in a secret place within you – these commands I have given you – so as a result your listening is focused on real wisdom and your heart is completely emptied and ready to soak in My godly ways; yes if you stop holding back and stop trying to do everything on your own but instead break the silence and call out to me for discernment and call out even more so you will know how to apply My wisdom to your situations, if you seek My ways amidst your life like a person seeking for a valuable treasure and then apply yourself to digging deeply in the place where that treasure is to be found, then _________ My ways about you will be revealed to you and your only reaction will be complete reverence and worship as you get a glimpse of My all encompassing knowledge regarding everything there is to ever be known.”

God doesn’t have a specific room he is assigned to speak in nor a specific time when He will start or end His session, there is a promise from Him that there will be no “session full” sign to greet you at the door, and better yet the session He is willing to keep with you is a One-on-one appointment, just you and Him and He is already waiting for you to answer His knock at the door of your heart.

I hope you are as excited today to hear Him speak into your life as you were when you last came to hear a conference speaker or retreat leader speak into your life.  I know when I woke up this morning and had my time with the Lord I was not disappointed in the message I took time to hear, and I know the lessons I will hear throughout my day will continue to be just as good if I keep searching for the Lord and what He desire to teach me.  

May you be blessed today as you take time to hear the personalized lesson the Lord has to share with you so you do not grow weary or lose your way.

2 comments:

  1. Peggy,
    I really enjoyed your cooking demonstration and food class at the MACHE conference.
    I would liket o get the recipe for the crackers, dip and other goodies you made.
    Where can I find this info?
    Blessings,
    Heidi
    My email is the.lamb.castle@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,

    I am so glad you enjoyed the class. I had just as much fun presenting.

    As for the recipes, you can either go to the MACHE website and download my handout for the talk or you can go to my Whole Food Whole Family site (you just click on the link on the right-hand side of my blog to get there) and you can either scan through the recipes to find each one or if you go to the "Upcoming Speaking" tab and then click on "Handouts for Upcoming Talks" that will bring you to a link to the handout on Google Docs.

    If you still can't access the handout let me know and I will email you a copy.

    Blessings,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete