My Heart His Home


“How lovely is your dwelling place, LORD Almighty!  My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.   Even the sparrow has found a home,  and the swallow a nest for herself,  where she may have her young—  a place near your altar,  LORD Almighty, my King and my God.  Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you.”  Psalm 84: 1-4

There are certain days when I wake up, and the prayers that pour from my heart just can’t be contained.  The dwelling place of the Lord is evident in my soul on those mornings so much so that before my feet even hit the floor, a conversation with God has begun.  Today was one of those days.  I woke this morning feeling the weight of a spiritually heavy week lifted from my weary shoulders and the still small voice of the Lord reminding me today was the Sabbath and I needed to take time to rest in Him and His ability to provide for the needs of my day.

Tomorrow is a new day though - a day full of new work and new challenges.  From experience I know full well my soul is apt to get weary quickly if my focus, when I wake up in the morning, goes directly to those tasks at hand instead of going first to my relationship with the Lord.  For that reason I have already prayed and asked the Lord to help me to remember my appointment with Him first thing in the morning, and for Him to stir my heart so that I would desire to meet with Him above anything on my to-do list covering all the other pressing things my day requires me to attend to. 

The psalmist and I alike are jealous of where this bird in the psalm has been able to make her home – near the altar of the Lord.  For the psalmist the house of the Lord is where he knew he could go to worship, praise and give his sacrifices to God – the perfect dwelling place for his weary soul and a place where he felt continually blessed.  Similarly, allowing my heart to be a place where the Lord can dwell guarantees my day will be one which is an outpouring of worship, praise, and sacrifice to my God and King.  A true blessed life for sure.

I do not want to miss a single opportunity that God has planned for my life to intersect with His will tomorrow, or in any day to come in the future.  If you want the same to be true for your life, I urge you to join me and say a prayer in preparation for tomorrow – one that will guard an appointment with Jesus first thing tomorrow and make your heart desire Him and all of His ways more than anything else in your day.  I pray you will be able to say with me at the end of tomorrow, “I am praising God and His eternal goodness through Jesus Christ my Lord because of the blessings I have experienced today in making my heart a dwelling place for my King.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart