No Wavering


“Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.  Hebrews 10:23

Before I went to bed last night, the above verse caught my eye on a flip calendar I keep in one of my bathrooms.  For some reason, the words “without wavering” just jumped out at me and clung to my thoughts through the night and into the morning hours – I can tell you right now that it is not often I can recall the content of a verse after only looking at it once but even more so I usually cannot recall the particular bible book and verse number associated with that verse – but the Holy Spirit was gracious with my memory and when I eventually did get out of bed this morning I found my thoughts intermixing the above verse with thoughts about yesterday’s passing of Chuck Colson, the founder of Prison Fellowship International.

These words, “without wavering”, when translated from the Greek literally mean, “to not lie down/recline”.   I guess those words could possibly be used to describe someone like Colson, who after seeing the depravity of his soul through the world-wide publicity of his involvement in Watergate, came into a relationship with Jesus and pursued Him and the calling put on his life to the utmost - right up to the point of his death.  Colson was a man who, like the apostle Paul, did not let his past pull him down, but rather who allowed the promises of God to keep him upright.  A man who did not hesitate to act on what he believed, but rather a man so driven by his beliefs that God was able to use his life as an instrument to reach the forgotten and shamed imprisoned populations around the world.

As a disciple of Christ Jesus, I would love for my life to be a living testimony of what God can do through a humble servant who has set her mind onto holding fast her faith and not wavering in that stance.  I question though at times if I have what it takes to withstand the tests that are bound to come my way in the future.  Is my faith really as strong as I think it is?  When that testing comes again will I again be able to hold fast to what I profess with my mouth and believe in my head?  These questions have plagued me more and more lately as I am nearing my run for public office.  A race and exercise of my faith that will tempt my human vulnerabilities and test my faith in ways it has never been tested before.

Yes, I have confidence that my faith is that strong when I get down to the essence of the questions I have put before myself.  Why am I confident?  Well it again boils down to what Hebrews 10:23 says on the later end, “… for He who is promised is faithful.”  And in 1 Corinthians 10:13 the promise of God to me as I stay in His will and follow His leading is that, “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

I have confidence in my Lord who has never let me down and who promises to always provide a means for me to escape any temptation in the future as long as I keep my eye on Him and His promises.  It is this confidence in Jesus that keeps us from going down the paths that cause us to waver and stumble in our faith.  As you look at your week ahead, make it a point to give your concerns to the Lord, to seek His word for promises He has given for you to cling to so you do not waver, and then resolve to memorize those promises and hold fast to them as you commit to believing them and all the fruit that our faithful God desires to bring out of your trusting obedience to stand tall in your faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart