Stay Strong and Purposeful


“Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated, but rather be healed. Hebrews 12:12-13

As I was praying this morning, God made it very evident that the spirit of complacency had come over me and I was starting to cave into certain temptations and distractions.  Not extremely wayward distractions or temptations mind you, but definitely ones that were pulling me away from the purposes He had ahead for me. 

I don’t know how your day has been already, but mine started out with quite a few things to distract me from that straight path I know I need to stay on today.  My distractions have already ranged from a bad hair day and PMS on one end of the spectrum to thoughts about the possible root canal my 13 year-old may have to have today due to an error made by his orthodontist on the other end.  The distractions and temptations seem endless at times in the battle they wage on my body and my mind.  At times it just seems easier, and a much more wonderful choice, to pour a cup of coffee and watch the birds out the window than deal with my long to-do list for the day or to even contemplate where the day is going to take me.

Yes, there are times when I need to take a rest and grab my coffee and head for the porch to just enjoy the birds or the sunrise, but when there is a sense of urgency and the tasks ahead can’t wait because the vision God has given me, with an accompanying time table, must be worked out in perfect obedience so I can be an instrument to help bring healing into the lives of others.  It is then that I would not be following my Lord if I didn’t focus on that straight path and draw upon God to strengthen my arms and feet for the work ahead. (My rephrasing of the scripture above.)

Today as I pack and prepare to go to the conference I am speaking at this week-end my list does seem endless and there are a lot of appointments that could become distractions if I let them.  Today is not a day of rest, but rather one in which I need to dig deep and draw upon the strength of God so I don’t stray from the straight path.  I know there are many I am being called to speak to this week-end so that God can touch their hearts with the words He has given me.  There is a battle to wage ahead because the powers of darkness would not want me to be in my best shape when I leave tomorrow.  But I know that the battle has already been won and I am one the winning side if I keep my steps within the will of God and keep my eyes fixed on the path He has shown me I must walk.

If today you find yourself weary in doing good, then I urge you to seek the Lord and ask Him to point out those things that are pulling you away from the path He has set before you.  Allow yourself to be strengthened by His power and ability to overcome all obstacles, and then be faithful to walk on the path He has set before you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart