He Must Increase


He must increase, but I must decrease.” John 3:30

The above verse is one that I refer to as my “life verse”. What I mean by a “life verse” is a particular verse that you have seen God work in and through your life over and over again – kind of like a godly theme of your life based upon scripture. As you can see by the nature of the verse I have found my life in God to be defined by, it does not hint towards a life filled with great resting places and promises of abundant blessings. Rather, the verse I have found that most associates with the way God works in and through my life is that of a life of continual discipline – one where I am continually humbled and God is continually exulted. What I am left with when I look at the theme God has set for my life is to see it as I have been given a tough lot for my life or that the Lord has set me apart to keep me on the straight and narrow with Him. I have chosen to believe the latter and rejoice in the fact that each day of my life brings God more glory and me a greater understanding of my position before Him

As I was looking at this general theme of humility before God and exulting His greatness I found that from the beginning of the bible to the end this theme is consistent. Look at these verses and what they have to say:

From the beginning:
Ah, Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You. You show lovingkindness to thousands, and repay the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them—the Great, the Mighty God, whose name is the Lord of hosts. You are great in counsel and mighty in work, for Your eyes are open to all the ways of the sons of men, to give everyone according to his ways and according to the fruit of his doings.” Jeremiah 32:17-19

To the end:
And they sang a new song, saying:

'You are worthy to take the scroll, and to open its seals; for You were slain, and have redeemed us to God by Your blood out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, and have made us kings and priests to our God; and we shall reign on the earth.'

Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice:

'Worthy is the Lamb who was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom, and strength and honor and glory and blessing!'

And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying:

'Blessing and honor and glory and power be to Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, forever and ever!'

Then the four living creatures said, “Amen!” And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever.” Revelation 5:9-14

Our human view of how things work is that everything fades away. And the truth of the following verse confirms that view - the reality of what of our lives here on earth sum up to.

But we are all like an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; we all fade as a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.” Isaiah 64:6

Thankfully, the nature of decay does not effect the works of the Lord. His works just built upon one another and become greater and greater into eternity as the following verse indicates:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.” 1 Peter 1:3-5

Yes, the Lord has every right to increase in ruling over all things, including my life and yours. We on the other hand would be wise in not fighting His increase, but rather allowing ourselves to decrease along with all of the worldly pursuits we often put before God which in the end will only fade away. Here is one more verse that just sums up where the kingdom of God is heading. I have decided to be on the winning side by submitting my will to the One who will reign forever and ever. I feel very little regret in what God asks me to give up along the way in the pursuit of living out that decision and all that it will cost me in this world to be part of God's magnificent increase.

Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end, upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, to order it and establish it with judgment and justice from that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.” Isaiah 9:7

Comments

  1. Peggy, it was like reading a mirror of my mind when I read this posting. I was thinking about this topic earlier in the week (he must increase; I must decrease -- humility). Plus you quoted so many of my favorite verses. Thanks for putting it all together so well.
    -- Tracie Henkel (Forgiven)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote what God laid on my heart this morning. Again, another lesson in humility when I was up half the night with my cow who faked me out and didn't go into full labor and thinking, "What in the world am I going to have enough energy to write about this morning before heading out on a day long field trip?" Just another reminder that when God puts something before you, you just have to move forward in trust not knowing how it is all going to work out, just that it will work out when He is behind it. - Peggy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart