Thursday, May 24, 2012

No Despair When Focused on God


My soul clings to the dust;
Revive me according to Your word.
I have declared my ways, and You answered me;
Teach me Your statutes.
Make me understand the way of Your precepts;
So shall I meditate on Your wonderful works.
My soul melts from heaviness;
Strengthen me according to Your word.
Remove from me the way of lying,
And grant me Your law graciously.
I have chosen the way of truth;
Your judgments I have laid before me.
I cling to Your testimonies;
O
Lord, do not put me to shame!
I will run the course of Your commandments,
For You shall enlarge my heart.”
Psalm 119: 25-32

Have you ever reached a point where it seems all hope is lost? The other day I had the opportunity to encourage a friend who was unable to see what God would have for her in the middle of her despair – and what a wonderful change God brought to her circumstances when she set her eyes on the Lord and His promises for her.

This morning as I was reading on in Psalm 119, it struck me that the advice I gave to this friend, to focus on the faithfulness of God and His word, was exactly what the psalmist above writes he did to find comfort in his desperate situation which had brought “heaviness” to his soul.

In taking the focus off those things which bring despair to our souls on this earth, we are given the ability to cling to God and the hope, peace, and perspective His truth and past faithfulness provides to our hearts and minds. It is in these times we need to seek for God in a most concentrated fashion and be ready for the things He desires to bring about and reveal in our lives. God does not allow these times to make us question His faithfulness, but rather to draw us into His presence and confirm His faithfulness to us all the more.

Oswald Chambers in “His Utmost for His Highest” states the same concept in this way:

In the midst of the awfulness, a touch comes, and you know it is the right hand of Jesus Christ...Whenever His hand is laid upon you, it is ineffable peace and comfort...When once His touch comes, nothing at all can cast you in to fear again...Watch some of the things that strike fear despair. There is despair in which there is no delight, no horizon, no hope of anything brighter; but the delight of despair comes when I know that 'in me (that is in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing.' I delight to know that there is that in me, which must fall prostrate before God...God can do nothing for me until I get of the limit of the possible.”

To get beyond living in fear and the state of despair, a person must choose to leave the lies of “what may come” in the hands of the One who always desires the best for her life. We cannot will ourselves to think beyond our despair because there is no hope in our thoughts that focus on “good possibilities”. Rather, the only way we can move beyond despair and into a life of hope is to concentrate on the Giver of all hope who wants us to draw closer to Him through His word and His marvelous works we have been able to witness in our lives and in the lives of those around us.

May God's hope dwell richly within you today as you make Him your focus.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Again, just what I needed after a really hard day yesterday. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could be an encouragement. - Peggy

    ReplyDelete