Praying the Word to Stay in the Word


 “Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord!
Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, who seek Him with the whole heart!
They also do no iniquity; they walk in His ways.
You have commanded us to keep Your precepts diligently.
Oh, that my ways were directed to keep Your statutes!
Then I would not be ashamed, when I look into all Your commandments.
I will praise You with uprightness of heart, when I learn Your righteous judgments.
I will keep Your statutes; Oh, do not forsake me utterly!”
  Psalm 119: 1-8

Today as I was reading through Psalm 119, I felt the need to take the first stanza and turn it into a prayer. If you are not familiar with Psalm 119, it is the longest in the book of Psalms but it seems to be filled with repetitions around one specific topic – living a life centered around the law of the Lord. This writing was intentional and it is laid out in a manner that puts the text into sections which are ordered by the Hebrew alphabet.

Praying to have a life that is centered in the Lord and His law should be our greatest prayer, because living a life with that priority at the top will leave everything else the ability to fall into place as God intends, not as we would like to orchestrate them.

I encourage you today to take a scripture verse(s) that the Lord lays on your heart and turn it also into a prayer – one you can focus and meditate on through the day. The Holy Spirit does mighty things when we allow the word of the Lord to penetrate our hearts in this manner.

So, now to my prayer:

Dear Lord,
I want to be blessed and to walk in a way that is undefiled and within your law. Help me to maintain a life that keeps within the scope of your word and therefore is in avoidance of sin.
Truly I want to live in a manner that reflects all of the lessons you have taught me and to desire with my whole heart to seek You and Your ways in every twist and turn in my life – not always trying my hardest to solve problems without first consulting You, but rather seeking You first and then following Your leading in peace in the resolutions You have already planned for me and the situations which arise in my life.
I know in my head that living in Your ways will keep me from falling into the traps that a sinful life can ensnare me with, but help my heart to desire to walk with You as you keep me from those traps – that is the foundation of living in Your will and following Your law.
Help me Lord to also live a diligent lifestyle. One that is focused on You to the utmost and in keeping to Your law above my own selfish and wayward ways, every moment and every day.
I know for certain that if I am directed by You and I keep my life within the will You show me then I will not have reason to be ashamed for anything that comes about in my life.
Praise to You Lord Jesus! Let my heart be one that as drawn close to You through obedient praise, for Your righteous ways and Your faultless judgments are worthy of the greatest praise I can offer.
I chose this day to once again follow Your ways above my own.
Please do not forsake me for my feeble attempts to bring You honor, glory, and praise.
With everything I have to give You this day,
Peggy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart