A Race Filled with Peace


Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27

Well today is the day I file to run for school board in the November election. You would think I would be anxious about the race and the outcome of the vote that will dictate the my personal schedule for the next 4 and a half years, but I am not. I have this overwhelming peace surrounding me because deep down I know that whatever the result is of my obedience, it will be in the perfect will of God.

But, that is not the case for many people today who are going into offices around our country to put their names on the ballot for the upcoming elections. For some, their reasons for running are for personal glory and for others it is a desire to bring about human justice and make personal strides to right the wrongs they see happening around them. There are also those career politicians who have made public service a positive for themselves and the specific lobbying groups and their own special interests. For these people the upcoming elections will give them anything but peace because their entire lives are wrapped up in how the votes will fall on election day. They will push themselves to their limits to achieve something they want to see happen in their lives and in their communities. Human plans to try and perfect a world in which they cannot even predict what the next day of their own life will bring their way.

I know the peace which surrounds me has entirely to do with the fact my life is not wrapped up in what the election results may bring into my life. Rather, my life is and always will be wrapped up in God Himself and the purposes He leads me into and out of for my life. He is the only One who can perfect the things of this world and in Him I have chosen to rest completely in.

A fitting verse to ponder while thinking about how the peace of God in me will be evident to those I encounter in this campaign is this one:

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.” 1 John 2:15-17

For people who are going to the ballots this fall and are looking for something different than the typical politics of the past, they will see the peace of God in those He has anointed to run this race for His glory. I feel privileged to be called as one of those He has asked to rise up for that reason and I know there are others out there too. So I urge you as you consider the candidates who will be on your ballot this fall, do not make your voting decisions based solely on human wisdom, but pray and seek God making sure to look for that peace of God which will set apart the ones God wants to work through to bring our nation back to Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart