Staying Diligent in the Summer


But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation...beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” 2 Peter 3:10-14,17-18

This morning I was thinking about how difficult it has been these past few weeks to be diligent in keeping up with all of the demands I have set before me each day and how easy it would be for me to slip into a more relaxed and comfortable pattern of life now that summer is here. But the things that I would more than likely let slip into the background would surely be the spiritually urgent ones which I should be most consistent to keep in check on a daily basis.

With new summer schedules just around the corner for most of you, the matter of staying diligent to the spiritual things in your life is definitely something to bring before the Lord. Your time with the Lord may not look the same in the summer as it does throughout the rest of the year, but without a plan of keeping your time with Him a priority, there is a great likelihood of having it slide completely off your schedule.

In reading the verses from 2 Peter above, we are reminded that we do not have time to be slack in our fellowship with the Lord. We need to be always watching, always diligent, always steadfast, and always on the alert. The goal is not to take time away to rest up for the next season ahead. (By the way that doesn't work.) But rather to be growing, looking, and preparing all the more for the day of the Lord which is approaching - one which will bring everything we have done up until that time into judgment.

As I have set all the things I have to do each morning before the Lord, He has shown me that my mornings need to stay the way they are (with a few added chores this season brings to our hobby farm) and I just need to add a nap into my afternoons to keep the schedules of the morning and evening consistent. On the farm, during the peak of the day is when it is warmest, and a siesta from my work makes the most sense. But in the morning there are chores which cannot be put off, time with the Lord I cannot be slack about, and children, gardens, and animals I need to care for.

I pray you can also take some time to prayerfully put your summer schedule before the Lord. Ask Him how He has made time for all that needs to be completed each day. Be willing to be flexible and creative, God loves to shake up our schedules so we do not grow complacent in a specific method or way of seeking Him. I know God has great things planned for me to join Him in this summer and I don't want to miss a single moment. He is ready for you too to join Him in the plans He has set around your life. Be prepared to be diligent so not to let one of those moments slip away from you.

Comments

  1. Your topic for today is so timely for me! I am taking a writing course, and I am suppose to chaart my schedule for the next three months. It is a lot to think about since my work schedule is so variable after the tax season.

    Have a good Memorial Day! Blessings, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think God delights in keeping us out of our ruts even though we so desire to make them deeper and put on our auto pilot letting them guide us instead of Him. May this new season of your life be filled with many provisions from God as you seek His plan in making all that is set before you fit into your life as part of His will. - Peggy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart