Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Eyes Fixed on Jesus


But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the Lord God of Israel with all his heart; for he did not depart from the sins of Jeroboam, who had made Israel sin.” 2 Kings10:31

This morning I was reading through 2 Kings 10, which is an account of how Jehu did as the Lord had told the prophets regarding how he would rid the land of Israel of the family of Ahab and Jezebel and all of the evil they had spread through their worship of Baal over the Lord God Almighty, I was left at the end of the account a bit dismayed. You see, after all of Jehu's works towards righteousness in the land, he failed to make a clean sweep. We learn from the verses proceeding verse 31, in the account in 2 Kings 10, that although Jehu removed all of the things I just mentioned above, he failed to remove the “golden calves that were in Bethel and in Dan.”

I found myself wondering, “Why would a person be so bent on clearing the land for the Lord, only to stop short of finishing the job?” But then of course I had to look at my own life and the many things I have done in the past with zeal for the Lord and yet even thought I have been able to start a good work, not always have I been able to finish well.

I have a feeling that Jehu got to a point that he was so wrapped up in his pursuit of ridding the land of its main evils, that the glory given him in those major accomplishments were enough for him to relish in. The act of looking back and saying “I did well.” was more than likely his greatest foe against finishing the job that was set before him.

Finishing well does not happen by mistake. Rather, finishing well is done by keeping your eyes on the goal and not taking them off of the goal to instead glory in the small steps of accomplishment you make along the way. It is at times of gradual triumph toward an end goal that we are most tempted to take our feet off the path that we are running on. We tend to think the opposite and that when we are failing we get most side tracked, but those times when we fall and become disheartened, are instead times when we truly see the path for what it is (the paved way set before us) instead of looking at all of the scenery, distracting vices, and small victories that surround us.

I think verses 12 through 14 in Philippians give us an indicator of how to keep our eyes on the path set before us and the goal of pursuing Jesus to the end:

Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” 
 
In all humility we are to accept the things that have happened to us and through us in the past. We are to grab at those things Jesus puts before us because if we have given our hearts to Jesus then we have given Him the right to take us where He wants us to go. We do not need to understand, we just need to let go of defeats as well as accomplishments and instead just fix our eyes on Jesus because He alone is to be the focus of all we do, all we say, all we think, and all we are until we are finally called home to live with Him forever.

Jesus, and eternal life with Him, is the goal. Don't take your eyes off of Him no matter if your circumstances have you up or down. The things we do and which are done to us are only the by-products of our walk with Him – He alone is the reason we walk in faith and hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment