Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sabbath Made for Man


The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.” Mark 2:27

Today I conducted a bit of a holy experiment. My experiment was the result of having pondered the above verse for the past 5 days while asking God to help me understand what exactly Jesus was saying here and how it, and the accompanying verses, apply to my life.

So, I bet you are wondering what my holy experiment was. Well, I decided to make this day, a day that “was made for” me instead of me fitting into the day. That does not mean I didn't get up when I needed to, milk the cow, and take care of the chickens, or that I didn't go to church, sing on the worship team, bake, catch up on a bit of laundry and take my usual Sunday nap. No, I did all of those things and a lot more.

But, instead of trying to get anything done, I decided to rest in each moment the day brought and not worry about how long each task took or dwell on anything past the point I was in – I just savored the moments as they came and rested in the fact I had this moment given to me to do some of the things I wanted to do. Yes, the tasks of the day did take a bit longer than usual, but at the end of the day I have to say I feel very well rested.

As I was laying down for my nap this afternoon and still trying to have God give me a clue as to whether or not I was getting close to understanding the meaning Jesus had behind the words in Mark 2:27, I felt His gentle voice speak to me, “Peggy, rest is not about pushing yourself to make time to get away from everything. Rather, rest is about not fretting about anything and pulling from the resources that are right in front of you.” You see, that is what Jesus and His disciples were doing when they were picking grains on the Sabbath and eating it. That is what David did when he was hungry and ate the showbread. That is also what Jesus did later, in Mark 3, when He healed the man with the withered hand on the Sabbath.

I think sometimes trying to make the Sabbath a day of rest is more work than most normal work days. We try so hard to not do something, that when our schedule kicks back in gear for the week we are tired from our pursuit of rest and our anxious thoughts regarding the things we deprived ourselves of the day before.

I am not sure if I have got this experiment perfected, but it sure was a great trial run which I am looking forward to repeating next Sunday. Maybe you will join me. I would love to hear from you next week on how your Sabbath rest was a day made for you. I will probably be sharing with you how my continued experiment is going along with any new data I collect along the way. Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment