Evil Does Not Factor In


Do not fret because of evildoers...” Psalm 37:1a

This morning as I was reading through my devotionals, I was struck by the following statement by Oswald Chambers:

Love is not ignorant of the existence of evil, but it does not take it in as a calculating factor.”

Knowing the fact that God's abilities can conquer over all evil is one thing, but not even considering what the forces of evil could do to bring harm to me in any situation, therefore trusting in God alone, is what living in the love of the Lord is all about. For some reason I had never looked at it from that point of view, the view that I do not even have to think about what the forces of evil in this world may bring into my life and my circumstances because the love God has for me would never allow them to harm me if I stay close to Him.

The only problem though is that I often will take those evil factors into consideration, act on them apart from God and then I am left on my own to deal with the repercussions of having walked out on God and having trusted in my own self-determined actions. Our human nature just begs us to act this contrary way to God every day. We allow ourselves to listen to the voice of fear before we place ourselves before the throne of God and listen to His voice of peace.

The choice comes at the moment a thought enters the mind. Do we choose to listen to the thoughts generated by our fears? Or, do we choose to listen to the age-old truths of God and live in their promises? One choice will seem right and yet it will lead us away from God while the other choice will put us into the presence of God where He will take over and protect us from all harm. It takes a lot of will-power to act contrary to the ways your self-prescribed inclinations draw you and instead sit and wait patiently on the Lord to work in His own time and within His own boundaries.

I have to say that I am getting better at this type of living, but I still have a long way to go in mastering my own self-determined actions which get the best of me before I allow God to take hold of my heart. How about you? Do you see these types of self-determined responses happening in your life? Maybe you never even thought about how much your will to act on something apart from God was taking God out of your life. Wherever you are at, we all have the means to improve our reliance on God. Determine today to choice to live under the throne of peace instead of under the dominion of the fear of evil and as Psalm 37:9 states, you “shall inherit the earth.”

For evildoers shall be cutoff; but those who wait on the Lord, they shall inherit the earth.” Psalm 37:9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart