Learning to Walk


The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; for the Lord upholds him with His hand.” Psalm 37:23-24

Do you remember what it was like to learn to walk? I don't either. But as a parent I do remember what the experience of learning to walk was like for each of my children. I remember many tumbles, triumphs, tears, and progress every step of the way (literally). I remember delighting in the gradual progression of each of their successes in learning to walk. And, I also remember always being on guard if a child was needing a helping hand to stabilize their stance.

In the same way that a parent cares for a child who is learning to walk, God cares for each of us as we are learning to walk in faith. We have tumbles, triumphs, tears and eventual progress as we learn each day how to better use our spiritual legs. God delights in watching us use those legs, not only because He is our Father but also because He gave us the spiritual legs on which we stand (not to mention the physical ones too). Each step we take on our spiritual walk, God rejoices with us in the triumph, and just like a natural parent God is always on guard to lend us a helping hand and steer us in the right direction so we don't fall too hard that we can never get up again.

I think it is good to remember that when a child learns to walk, each wobble and stumble sends a message to the brain, “That was not exactly what you wanted to do.” And when the steps are steady and in the proper direction then the message sent to the brain is, “That was the right way, keep it up.” Spiritual wobbles and stumbles are before everyone who sets their mind on learning to walk with spiritual legs.  The reality of learning from each step we take in faith is that we discover the most important staying factor of our faith – This is just a learning process, and God delights in watching us learn.

Each step we take in our spiritual journey is not meant to be perfect. We WILL stumble and fall. But, the consolation is that our Father will only let us fall enough to learn the lessons we need to learn to become better at walking in the future. His hand is at the ready. We have the decision as to whether we will stay sitting or be willing to put our full weight on our shaky legs and take another step in learning how to walk just a bit better. 

I hope you join me today in getting up on your shaky legs too.  I wonder what lessons I have ahead of me today to learn.  Whatever they may be, I am sure glad that my Father is making sure I won't get too badly hurt in my efforts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart