A Life with God

This morning I started reading in the middle of Psalm 30, and then I felt compelled to read the psalm to the end. Finally, I went back and started at the beginning and read the entire psalm all the way through. It seems that with some psalms you can look at a small section and get the idea of that writer in regards to that particular part, but in this psalm there is a definite need to read from start to finish in order to get the broader picture the psalmist was conveying (which I found out through my multiple readings).

So, first I want you to read through the psalm and then there are some things I want to point out that were interesting to me as I looked at the words of this psalmist from my new perspective. I hope you find some buried truth treasure also while you are reading and have some perspectives to add.

Psalm 30:

I will extol You, O Lord, for You have lifted me up,
And have not let my foes rejoice over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to You,
And You healed me.
O Lord, You brought my soul up from the grave;
You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.
Sing praise to the Lord, you saints of His,
And give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name.
For His anger is but for a moment,
His favor is for life;
Weeping may endure for a night,
But joy comes in the morning.
Now in my prosperity I said,
“I shall never be moved.”
Lord, by Your favor You have made my mountain stand strong;
You hid Your face, and I was troubled.
I cried out to You, O Lord;
And to the Lord I made supplication:
“What profit is there in my blood,
When I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise You?
Will it declare Your truth?
Hear, O Lord, and have mercy on me;
Lord, be my helper!”
You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever.

We are not sure if David is the author of this psalm, but what we do know is that it was written to be sung at the dedication of his house. This psalm is written from the perspective of David for sure, so it leaves one to wonder if the words were a compilation of many of the things David had spoken about the Lord as his house was being built (or even before that) or if David did indeed write the words. Either way, the psalm itself is very telling about how David viewed the Lord and how his life was intertwined with the ways the Lord worked in it.

(Verses 1-3)  The psalm first talks about victories won, healing being given, and salvation to the soul delivered. God was a mighty force who David allowed to work in and through his life because he saw his brokenness without God. David realized that he was not the one who won the battles, he was not the one who healed himself, and he was not the one who was able to save his soul from death.

(Verses 4-5)  The next part of the psalm focuses on praise and thanksgiving through all the up and down circumstances David had experienced in his life. The Lord is praised within the context of the name He has given Himself to David and his ancestors. He is praised for His righteous anger against sin. He is praised for the favor He bestows, the discipline He invokes, and the righteous joy His correction provides to the wayward soul.

(Verses 6-7)  This next part of the psalm takes a turn from the first two parts though and focuses on the unfaithfulness of man, which is showcased in front of the canvas already painted – that of a perfect and mighty God. This section points out how the pride of man separates him from God and that God allows this span in order for the soul of man to realize its depravity apart from God.

(Verses 8-10)  Then, the psalm shows how man is to come back to God after being disobedient and prideful – to cry out to Him and pray for His mercy and His help. The psalm is clear to point out also that if this repentance, or turning to the Lord, does not happen then the soul is bound to continue on its way to the pit of hell.

(Verses 11-12)  The psalm is finally wrapped up with words that show the life of man is nothing without the involvement of God – actually the complete control of God over it. The ways of man bring “mourning” and grieving (the purpose of the sackcloth), but a life in God brings “dancing”, “gladness”, “uncontrolled praise”, and “thanks[giving]”.

The psalm in its entirety takes the reader through the ups and downs of the life of a faithful servant of God, not a perfect one, but a faithful one. God does not ask us to be perfect, just faithful. In all the ups and downs God's faithful people go through in living their lives for the Lord, God allows these hills and valleys to occur so we can see Him and His power more clearly in our lives and so that others can see God more clearly through how we project Him in those circumstances. Whether you are up or down, God is with you and if you are faithful you will make His presence evident.

As I reflect on this psalm, I have to stand back and think, “What would a psalm written about how I view the Lord look like?” and “What would a psalm written from the perspective of  someone else, regarding how I view God in my life, look like?” I hope these questions give you something to ponder today and maybe help you to realize the importance of not only each up and down God takes you through but also how you portray those events to those you encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart