Look Up for Help

I will lift up my eyes to the hills — from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.” Psalm 121:1-2

Last night as I caught the above verses on one of my flip calendars a thought just popped into my head, “If my help comes from the Lord and I am supposed to be looking up at Him, why is it that I keep turning back to looking down at my circumstances instead?” I would guess I am not alone in taking my eyes off of God and His faithful provision when the circumstances of life get overwhelming. As I read through some other verses I found regarding this same theme of bring people back to focus on the God in order to remove their focus from the circumstances below, I found my research to be rather bountiful.  Here are just a few things I felt compelled to share from what I found:

Jesus stated the same call to focus on God and not circumstances in the following manner:

Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’...For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” Matthew 6:31-33

And, as the Israelite nation sang in the temple, one of their songs also reminded them that God was the One who did the deeds to save them and it was nothing they did in their circumstances that brought them victory or help:

We have heard with our ears, O God,
Our fathers have told us,
The deeds You did in their days,
In days of old:
You drove out the nations with Your hand,
But them You planted;
You afflicted the peoples, and cast them out.
For they did not gain possession of the land by their own sword,
Nor did their own arm save them;
But it was Your right hand, Your arm, and the light of Your countenance,
Because You favored them.
You are my King, O God;
Command victories for Jacob.
Through You we will push down our enemies;
Through Your name we will trample those who rise up against us.
For I will not trust in my bow,
Nor shall my sword save me.
But You have saved us from our enemies,
And have put to shame those who hated us.
In God we boast all day long,
And praise Your name forever. Selah”
Psalm 44:1-8

As I look out on the pile of hay that needs to be put up into the loft of our barn today (all 256 bales) and the heat that will more than likely make the working condition for my son and I all the more difficult, I can get rather discouraged. But instead I will look up to God, thank Him for the blessing of the hay we will now have to feed our cows through the winter, the health and strength He has given my son and me to do the job ahead of us, and the provision of the barn where the hay will be kept dry and clean until it is needed. The choice upon where I focus my thoughts and attention are mine, but in focusing upon God and the help He has at the ready is where my fears dissolve in realizing that the task before me is nothing to Him, who made the heavens and the earth.

...we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him.” Ephesians 3:12

Our faith is what allows us to step out in boldness to face each circumstance that life throws our way. Faith that does not even take the time to contemplate the difficulty of any task, but rather spends its time only contemplating the things of God and the truths He wants to make real to us in and through the circumstances He allows into our lives.  Look up today and your help will be found!  Dwelling on whatever is before you for any length of time will only show the lack of faith you have in Jesus who you profess to be your Lord and Savior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart