Friday, August 24, 2012

The Story God is Writing

There is no wisdom or understanding or counsel against the Lord. The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but deliverance is of the Lord.” Proverbs 21:30-31

Yesterday as I was discussing with a friend the oath I had taken with the Lord regarding blogging every day this year I commented on how God was intertwining many of my life-long faith stories into the text which I have been compiling since the first of the year – almost a spiritual autobiography of sorts. To that my friend commented on what a wonderful treasure these writings will be to my children if even just they were to be the only ones who would read them in the future. I had to agree – the transformations God has allowed over these years of my life, as I have allowed the sinful and physical representation of me be slowly transformed into the perfected and spiritual representation of me, are not only preparing me for the final battle and my final transformation but they are also meant to be useful in the preparation of others for the same effort.

When I used to think in years past of what I would write about if I were ever to write a large work (like a book), I could never harness in a single topic because there were just too many places the Lord has had to work to reign me in during this process. I now realize that for all of us, this way of God working on us from all angles, is how He approaches this transformation process. To no person is there just one area that needs an overhaul and the rest is good and ready to go for its alteration. God made us all multifaceted and from each of those angles He must cut into our lives taking away the unwanted parts little by little on each side with perfect precision in a perfect balance with the other sides so as not to disrupt the total integrity of the soul that lies within the corruption of the natural body.

I love what Paul has to say about this transformation process and how the work of the Lord and our labors along with what God is doing in our lives are not done in vain.

So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption. It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, 'The first man Adam became a living being.'The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also be the image of the heavenly Man...Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 15:42-49, 58

All that God does to bring about change in your life may look like a bunch of disconnected episodes that will not amount to anything worthwhile in the end. But as God looks at what He is doing to bring about a transformation in you, His grace and directions in that grace are perfectly planned out and focused on what He has determined as the right way for you to go in achieving His final spiritual modification in you. Do not think the Lord is crazy in calling you to anything new to put your hands to. His grace is sufficient to provide you with all you need for the calling and with all of the wisdom and strength you will only find in Him for the tasks that await you.

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain...” 1 Corinthians 15:10a

The most important role we each can play in this process we must endure as Christians is to take our focus off what the products of our efforts are producing in this world – they are only temporary and may only be enjoyed by a few. But rather me must focus on the final product of the labors the Lord has called us to and remember that our transformation from earthly to heavenly is His main goal and His grace will be sufficient to carry us through to the end whenever and wherever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment