Thursday, September 13, 2012

Are You Thirsty?

...come up in the morning to Mount Sinai, and present yourself to Me there on the top of the mountain.” Exodus 34:2

In the above verse the Lord calls Moses to meet with Him in the morning. Jesus too would go away and pray to His Father on a regular basis, in the morning. There seems to be a theme throughout the bible, up to the men and women of today, that those who are used by the Lord make it a point to meet with Him in the early morning hours.

When I wake up in the morning I always need to drink a large glass of water. No matter now much water I drank before I went to bed, I just always seem to be thirsty when I wake up. But my physical thirst is not the only thing that needs to be quenched each morning. Yes, it is much easier to recognize this thirst because there are sensations within my body that tell me it needs water, but there is also another deeper thirst that needs to be quenched – my spiritual thirst.

My spiritual thirst may be more difficult to recognize, but yet it is even more important to my daily living than the physical water which I crave each morning. This living water is the water that will sustain my soul, my inner body, for the rest of the day. Jesus made it very clear that He is that source for our souls and if we are human we have a spiritual thirst. If you don't think you have this thirst then either you are in denial of your thirst or you are dead in your body or dead in your soul.

Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.” John 7:37

Drinking of the well of living water necessitates that you always go back to the well to fill your bucket. Spiritual thirst is a continuous thing because each day we live through circumstances which draw that living water out of us. We live in a constant state of filling and then emptying. So, if you are always on the pouring out end and never taking in anything on the other end, soon you will be living a parched life that is nothing more than a desert and a once glorious wellspring of God. But thankfully the supply Jesus offers us never runs out.

but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.” John 4:14

If we make it a point to fill up our spiritual tanks in the morning, then we do not have to go through the pains of having a parched life. But, our human nature and the throws of life are often means by which we get thrown off course from our keeping a daily appointment in coming to the Lord for our spiritual filling.  In those times we find ourselves uttering the words of the psalmists below:

My soul longs, yes, even faints for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.” Psalm 84:2

O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water. So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and Your glory.” Psalm 63:1-2

But don't allow your life to fall into this state through neglect. It is one thing to be thrown into the desert by no choice of your own, but a completely different thing to be thrown there by not being diligent in the things the Lord commands you to do as His disciple.  If you are faithful to call out to the Lord as the psalmists above, the Lord will make sure you find your way back to His wellspring of life, but also know the path that brought you away will determine how difficult it will be to get back to where your soul hungers to come and quench its thirst.

I have to admit that getting up before the sun each morning to spend time with the Lord is not an easy choice, but it has become an easier choice as I have disciplined myself to set aside that time each morning. And, when my day is done and I look back over all the sources that needed filling from the water I gathered that morning, I end my day in thankful praise to my God and King for being the source which made all my out-flowing possible.

Dear Father, I am coming to meet with You. Nothing on the common, everyday plain of life will keep me away from Your holy heights. At Your calling I come, so I have the assurance that You will meet with me. Each morning begun so well on the mountain will make me strong and glad the rest of the day!” Joseph Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment