Sunday, September 23, 2012

My Watching Brother and My Watching God

Then the Lord said to Cain, 'Where is Abel your brother?' He said, 'I do not know. Am I my brother’s keeper?'” Genesis 4:9


This morning my pastor spoke on Genesis 4 and then when I got home this same verse I heard at church was looking me in the eye when I sat down to ready my bible and devotionals. “Where is Abel your brother?” Then the following verse from Luke sat before me to reflect on with the following quote from Oswald Chambers:


Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem...” Luke 18:31b


The same thing will happen to us on our way to Jerusalem. There will be the works of God manifested through us, people will get blessed, and one or two will show gratitude and the rest will show gross ingratitude, but nothing must deflect us from going up to Jerusalem.” Oswald Chambers


After pondering all of these things I felt the Lord put before me today, I had to ask myself, “Where is my brother Abel?” Here is what I journaled after I thought long and hard about that question with a lot of prayer to boot: I have to believe he is in my Jerusalem. He is where God is sending me and he is all men where my sending takes me. He is in the place where I stand firm, but he is not the reason I stand firm or the reason I should ever lose my footing. I may stand next to him, but never do I stand in any way to seek support from him if he does not offer it. He may be the one who affirms me, but more than likely he will be the one who wants to crucify me. I journey onward to my Jerusalem not because of his presence there, but because of God is there and he has called to to this exact place where I can stand in the presence of my brother Abel and in living before him as God asks I will teach him more about God than he understands.


May all of us strive to live like this before our fellow man, but more importantly live this way before our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment