Not Tossed To and Fro

...we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ...” Ephesians 4:14-15

As I have been reading through the bible these past few days, the Lord has been impressing a repeated message to me, one I have not blogged about until now because up until last night I had no idea what the meaning was behind the things He had been telling me. In the process of not being able to make sense of these things I did not put them out of my mind, but rather stored them away in the back of my mind. I have to admit I should have been seeking God more as I saw Him place this theme before me again and again, but I did not and instead found myself a little bit baffled as to why God kept speaking to me again and again about this subject – that being that those who are headed on the path of destruction will continue to move on that path and things must get much worse for them before they start to get better and see truth for what it is.  Then, last night my eyes were opened as the Lord used all of what He had been teaching me to speak truth in the response to a question I didn't even have to think about before I answered it. 

What happened is that I had to be at a meeting last night and the room was filled with “the trickery of men” beyond what I could even do justice in describing to you right now. After the meeting finished, one of the people in charge approached me and said, “Wasn't that a difficult meeting?” To which the Lord opened my mouth and gave me the following response without my mind really understanding until later where it had come from and the full gravity of what it meant: “As I have been praying about this situation, God has shown me that things must get much worse before they get much better.” To that this man I don't think had any idea how to answer and therefore just agreed with me and quickly allowed me to finish packing up my things while he found some other people to talk to.

I have to laugh when I think about how God uses the simple tool of my mouth to proclaim truth when my mind does not even know at times, until after I speak, what the greater meaning of what I just said was. I know that God has given me this gift to proclaim truth apart from myself and it can be a bit frightening knowing that when I allow God to use my mouth for His glory, not always will what I say be welcomed or even understood by the hearer.

But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” 1 Corinthians 2:14

There is a growing divide between those who are “tossed to and fro [by] every wind of doctrine” that comes from the mind of man apart from those who have trusted in the truth that Jesus alone provides. For those who trust in the truth that Jesus supplies and what the Holy Spirit reveals through the gift He gives to all who believe, truth clings to us and sustains us so that no matter how hard the winds of life blow we stand firm and God is glorified. It is in the foundation of truth we are allowed to stand and it is the only place where our feet can stay firmly planted and amidst the wickedness of this world. But, for those who do not have that solid footing, the Lord takes their worship or trust in the things that are not of Him and He reveals them for what they are, making certain that none of what they do brings about results that could cause man to glory apart from Him.

Hear what Isaiah had to proclaim from the Lord about this very same truth in the lines I have provided from chapters 47 and 48 of Isaiah:

For you have trusted in your wickedness;
You have said, ‘No one sees me’;
Your wisdom and your knowledge have warped you;
And you have said in your heart,
‘I am, and there is no one else besides me.’
Therefore evil shall come upon you;
You shall not know from where it arises.
And trouble shall fall upon you;
You will not be able to put it off.
And desolation shall come upon you suddenly,
Which you shall not know.

Stand now with your enchantments
And the multitude of your sorceries,
In which you have labored from your youth—
Perhaps you will be able to profit,
Perhaps you will prevail.
You are wearied in the multitude of your counsels;
Let now the astrologers, the stargazers,
And the monthly prognosticators
Stand up and save you
From what shall come upon you.
Behold, they shall be as stubble,
The fire shall burn them;
They shall not deliver themselves
From the power of the flame;
It shall not be a coal to be warmed by,
Nor a fire to sit before!
Thus shall they be to you
With whom you have labored,
Your merchants from your youth;
They shall wander each one to his quarter.
No one shall save you.”
Isaiah 47:10-15

I have declared the former things from the beginning;
They went forth from My mouth, and I caused them to hear it.
Suddenly I did them, and they came to pass.
Because I knew that you were obstinate,
And your neck was an iron sinew,
And your brow bronze,
Even from the beginning I have declared it to you;
Before it came to pass I proclaimed it to you,
Lest you should say, ‘My idol has done them,
And my carved image and my molded image
Have commanded them.'...

For My name’s sake I will defer My anger,
And for My praise I will restrain it from you,
So that I do not cut you off.
Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver;
I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.
For My own sake, for My own sake, I will do it;
For how should My name be profaned?
And I will not give My glory to another.”
Isaiah 48:3-5, 9-11

Those verses above give lots of food for thought when we think about handling any situation apart from the will of God.  The question we are often left we when we think about these things is, "What will the Lord do with those who are seeking to plot and scheme against His will?" Well, we are not allowed most times to know the exact specifics regarding what will transpire in the life of anyone who walks with or without the Lord. But the one thing we can be certain of is this: The life of those who do not follow the Lord will end in humiliation when God comes to judge the world, when He is given glory forever more in His kingdom and when all things are finally revealed in the light of His truth and are no longer cloaked in sin and darkness.

Yes, God will allow things to get much worse before they get better because His purposes overpower the small and inconsequential meetings we hold with such great significance in this world. For those who seek God and His truth, may it not take us until the time of God's reign to realize that the time we spend with the Lord on our knees is the most important meeting we can take part in on this earth and it will accomplish more than we could ever imagine for the eternal New Jerusalem which is to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart