Wednesday, October 31, 2012

In the Presence of the Father

My Spirit remains among you; do not fear!” Haggai 2:5

Yesterday morning I enjoyed some fellowship time with a new friend who had been introduced to me through a common friend. It is always so nice to talk with other believers and learn what God has done in them and through them as they seek to live out His will one day at a time. And, although the conversation was very sweet, there was one other aspect of my visit that was even sweeter – watching her 2-year old son.

It has been a while since my kids were that young and they played as hard as this little fellow did as I observed him yesterday. My 8-year old daughter did her best to keep up with this little guy, but as we left she said to me, “I think I need to go home and rest.” Yes, toddlers have a tremendous amount of energy and I have to admit that when both of my boys were that age I barely had the enough get-up-and-go to keep up with them.

In thinking about my visit yesterday and also having in the back of my mind a thought that went through my head as I was praying this morning about how it seems that the day just escapes me and I don't get as many moments to pray in between those morning fellowship times with the Lord, I came upon the following quote in one of my devotional this morning:

It is not necessary to be continually speaking to God, or always hearing from God, in order to have communication or fellowship with Him, for there is an unspeakable fellowship that is sweeter than words. A little child can sit all day long beside his mother, totally engrossed in his playing, while his mother is consumed by her work, and although both are busy and few words are spoken by either, they are in perfect fellowship. The child knows his mother is there, and she knows that he is all right.” unknown

I have to think that God answered the cry of my heart and yearning desire to be close to Him through the words penned by this unknown author and through the verse from Haggai above that I also read this morning. These sources were good reminders for me that He is with me all day long. Yes, the regular things of life need my attention and it would not be fitting for me to cling to my Father all day long and not tend to those things I am called to do by His side. I do not need to fear of becoming separated from Him or moving outside of His reach when I am in His will going about the things that each day brings because He is always within my reach, always within my sight.

Even in the busiest of days the Lord makes ready His mercy towards us because of the relationship that cannot be broken – the covenant that was sealed with the blood of Jesus that we as believers have willfully accepted as a means to become heirs to the kingdom of God. We must never forget that God will not leave us if we do not leave Him – that is His promise. He is always near to us, willing to help when we need it, willing to listen to what we have to say when we need to talk, and equipped to help us should any trouble arise or any situation become to difficult for us to figure out on our own.

But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting
On those who fear Him,
And His righteousness to children’s children,
To such as keep His covenant,
And to those who remember His commandments to do them.”
Psalm 103:17-18

May your day be filled with reminders that the presence of the Lord is around you and don't forget that when you need Him, He is near enough to hear your every utterance.

2 comments: