Thursday, October 11, 2012

In the Presence of the Lord

Do not exalt yourself in the presence of the king,
And do not stand in the place of the great;
For it is better that he say to you,'Come up here,'
Than that you should be put lower...”
Proverbs 25:6-7a


We live in a world of self-declared greatness. It seems each person is looking for his or her unique moment of fame or a way to make a mark in this world by some self-propelling action which will launch that greatness into the annals of history in some manner or another. In response to the way we act in this manner, God has given His people clear guidelines on how not to get caught in this trap that originates within the sin of pride-fulness – it starts with seeing ourselves in the light of His glory and in recognizing our personal shame as we see our lack in comparison to Him.

Here are some verses I came upon this morning from three godly men of the bible who penned their thoughts and feelings after having the Lord reveal Himself and His glory to them. Notice how they did not come away from those experiences feeling great, but rather feeling all the more humbled and repentant as they continued onward in their lives.


I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple. Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one cried to another and said:
'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
The whole earth is full of His glory!'”
Isaiah 6:1-3



I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear,
But now my eye sees You.
Therefore I abhor myself,
And repent in dust and ashes.”
Job 42:5-6

A glorious high throne from the beginning
Is the place of our sanctuary.
O Lord, the hope of Israel,
All who forsake You shall be ashamed.
'Those who depart from Me
Shall be written in the earth,
Because they have forsaken the Lord,
The fountain of living waters.'

Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed;
Save me, and I shall be saved,
For You are my praise.”
Jeremiah 17:12-14


In coming before the Lord each day I come to realize my need to be in a humble place before the greatness I kneel before and the absolute power and wisdom the Lord has above any person who have ever walked on this earth or have been recorded in history. My pride is completely gone within moments if I allow the Lord to set my heart straight as I gaze upon Him and as His Spirit reminds me of all He is to me and for me. These times are necessary if I want to continue the rest of my day in obedience to Him and what He wants to command in my day instead of me trying to set the agenda or work in a manner that seeks to exult my position or favor among my fellow man.

What about you? Do you prioritize the necessary time each day to sit before the Lord and gaze upon His greatness or do you find that boasting on Facebook to your friends about the things you have accomplished on your own merit takes greater precedence in your life? Falling prey to our sinful nature that exposes and propagates our prideful and arrogant hearts is so easy to do these days with the multitude of technological methods with which we can utilize to boast in ourselves. For this reason we need to all the more place our hearts before the Lord and realize just who were are in comparison to Him – dust.

The Lord is merciful towards our condition, but He does not tolerate a person who does not discipline him/herself in a manner that tries to bring about godly humility. God is patient with us beyond measure, but we must take account each day how we are striving to attain our own godly character – it is our own will that must be mastered into subjection in order to see ourselves as God sees us and respond to Him when we are shown just have deprived we are without Him.

I want to leave you with the following verses that reiterate what I just wrote above. I hope they bring encouragement to you as you seek to live in as the Lord has asked you to and you battle the temptation of pride in your own life. God will bring many blessings to the lives of those who see their need for Him and who are reminded daily their need to call out to Him for help in their weak and lowly state.

The Lord is merciful and gracious,
Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy.
He will not always strive with us,
Nor will He keep His anger forever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,
Nor punished us according to our iniquities.

For as the heavens are high above the earth,
So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him;
As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
As a father pities his children,
So the
Lord pities those who fear Him.
For He knows our frame;
He remembers that we are dust.”
Psalm 103:8-14

No comments:

Post a Comment