Light and Truth

Oh, send out Your light and Your truth!
Let them lead me;
Let them bring me to Your holy hill
And to Your tabernacle.”
Psalm 43:3


The Lord is not just light. And, the Lord is not just truth. Instead, He is a perfect mix of both light and truth. But what are light and truth really? Here are two scripture references that reference first light, and then truth:


Bless the Lord, O my soul!
O Lord my God, You are very great:
You are clothed with honor and majesty,
Who cover Yourself with
light as with a garment,
Who stretch out the heavens like a curtain.”
Psalm 104:1-2



Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
For the
Lord is good;
His mercy is everlasting,
And His
truth endures to all generations.” Psalm 100:4-5

Light is a cover, while truth is a legacy. One without the other is not enough – both must be at work in the life a believer in order for that person to be robed in the righteousness of God and to then carry out a righteous calling which will move forward into all proceeding generations. You can also think of light as grace – that cover we need to be seen by the eyes of God as who we were meant to be and not who we really are in the reality of our sinful, fallen, human nature. And as for truth, that is the enduring word of the Lord which contains the perfect promises of God. Both are from God, both He is willing to send out to us, and both are necessary to draw us into the presence of God – His holy hill – His tabernacle.

In thinking back over your Sabbath, have you been able to see the ways God has worked His light and truth into your day? In standing back and taking an inventory of you day, can you say the events of the day included a trip to the holy hill and the tabernacle of the Lord? Today I stand as a witness to the holy hill on which I was able to experience a heart of grace towards another (just as God has promised me I would get to go through to better understand His giving role in that exchange). And as for the tabernacle, I also experienced the most wonderful outpouring of praise within our church as I sang as part of the worship team today. The joy filled my heart so greatly I was moved to tears as I was singing and thinking at the same time about how what was before me was only a taste what the final place of worship in the New Jerusalem would be like. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart