Longing for Heaven on the Sabbath

For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.” 2 Corinthians 5:1-5

As I end my Sabbath today, I have found that my bible readings have me longing for heaven where “mortality may be swallowed up by life”. I am at a loss for words as to why I am feeling this way, but I have to say that things in life which are manufactured by human hands and human minds and which do not come from God, make a person weary and their soul greatly burdened. When I got up this morning, I was desiring that today would be different than the past few days. I set my heart to not be distracted by anything from the moment I got up – it was a day for pure worship and joyful celebration with my family of all those things which God has put into my life. But instead of my day going as I had originally planned, I am ending my day feeling bruised and beaten for doing nothings wrong but rather for standing firm in the place God has shown me to stand – a place that is righteous in His eyes.

I see my heavenly home in the distance beyond the troubles of this day. I see my beautiful Savior up ahead showing me the way on the unique path He has set before me. I see a place where strife, judgment from others, and the pain within my heart is a distant memory. And, I see myself in the arms of my Father God who desires more than anything for me to be with Him and who makes my coming to Him each and every day possible by the price Jesus paid on the cross. And speaking of Jesus, He does not just stop being my friend when that time of transformation comes, but He becomes all the more closer of a friend because there will be no more sin to separate us.

I hope you had a wonderful Sabbath, and that it was not like mine which was filled with sorrow served on a silver platter that, although meant a gift, it turned out instead to be nothing godly nor peace invoking – rather just painfully short-sided and judgmental. Now that my anger over the whole thing has simmered down a bit, I am willing to start this evening with thinking about what the Lord may have purposed in this event today. I know I also need His patience and forgiveness once again to keep from getting bitter when bitterness could easily take hold of me and how hurt I have felt.

What about you? Do you have unforgiveness or bitterness in your heart towards someone who has not been kind to you? I suggest letting your mind dwell for a time on your eternal home and your Father who is looking forward to showing you your eternal home with Him. Keeping an eternal perspective is the thing that makes the troubles of this day and the forgiveness that must be found to deal with those troubles, a bit easier to locate. The truth is, God's love helps us to look beyond the multitude of sins we encounter each day and for that fact alone my Sabbath has brought me one step closer to the heaven because my heart can see a better day on the horizon.

Comments

  1. Peggy, I have known similar longings for heaven. Some days are just so hard. Heaven is always a sure promise of an eternal home where we won't have to suffer from wrongs that need forgiveness. See you there someday!

    For this evening I hope and pray things are going better for you.

    Blessings, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice,

    I look forward to seeing you there. Yes, God has been faithful to protect me and He strengthen me for all I knew was ahead of me and so much more.

    He is faithful beyond my understanding and gracious beyond anything I could ever deserve!

    Blessings,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart