Personality Driven Passion

And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write...” Revelation 3:14a


As I was reading the letter to the “lukewarm” church of Laodiceana, my thoughts went to several people I know who are passionate for the Lord, but within the context of their personality they show their personal fervor for Him in completely different ways. Truly, I think it would be difficult to judge the passion level of a believer on purely their outward actions and that is why we are told “Judge not, that you be not judged.” (Matthew 7:1) God alone has the ability to see beyond our outward manifestations of faith and to see clearly the heart with which propels us to live our lives according to our unique call within the context of the personality He has granted us. He alone has the ability to call us cold, hot, or lukewarm.

“‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’ Revelation 3:14b-22

Sometimes I wonder why I can be so internally passionate for the Lord, and yet so reserved in my mannerisms while others I know are more outwardly bold and vocal about how they show their passion for the Lord. As I have been pondering my personality in relation to my devotion to God, I have to come to the conclusion that although some people are given the ability to praise God from their passionate feelings, it is others He gifts to praise Him from the passionate depths of the thoughts and wisdom they are given to meditate upon and lift up through more subtle and reflective processes.


Each personality has its place in the church. It would be wrong to say that a fellow believer was not as fervent for the Lord because we do not see them expressing their fervency for God in the same manner we express ours. Rather, we need to allow our own passionate worship to come forth as God has designed us, and then share that gift in glorifying God as we see the passionate worship of others' lives complement our own. Passionate love for the Lord is a matter of each individual heart, each individual life, each individual's experiences as a whole, and each individual relationship with the Lord and all the unique nuances which are part of that special relationship.


Zeal for the Lord truly is contained in who we are made to be and how we have been created to take what God has given us and reflect it to the world around us. It would be a sad thing if we all reflected the same character of God through our passionate responses to the love He shows us, because God is so much more than what any one person can exhibit through a faithful life in Him. The next time you are tempted to think that another person is not as zealous for the Lord as you are just because you do not see him/her pursuing God in the same manner as you do, stop yourself and do not judge. Instead, ask God to show you how you can glean wisdom from that person regarding a part of His personality that this person has been given which is different from what you personally understand – you will more than likely find yourself completely overjoyed at richness this other believer's expression of faith adds to your own.

Comments

  1. That's so true, Peggy! I just popped over to check in with you, but this really resonated with me. One of my reservations when Lee and I were dating was that we expressed our faith very differently, but it has been nothing but an enhancement to our marriage. You expressed it beautifully! Praying you are doing well through these busy weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I my sharing blessed you and thank you so much for your prayers - the weeks ahead are busy but I just take one day at a time and leave everything in the Lord's hands. Thank you for your prayers! - Peggy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart