Programmed for Success

The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:41

This morning I took some extra time I had to get on the treadmill and do a customized work-out I programed into it many years ago. In programming this particular work-out I made it a point to push myself at different speeds and inclines to just the point that I could hardly stand the level of the work-out anymore, but instead of ending the program at the point of my fatigue I just changed around the speed and incline ratio to somewhat trick my body into thinking it was getting rest while all the while it was still pushing itself at the same level.

As I was reading my bible after my time on the treadmill, it seems there was a larger work-out for me to take into consideration and a grander program instilled into my life that the Lord wanted me to take note of today. In the same way that I very carefully programmed into my treadmill the levels I could push myself to and still withstand the pressure, God builds circumstances into our lives that push us to the peak of where He knows we can perform. And also, instead of just starting and stopping the work-out when the fatigue is too great, God makes very calculated changes in the program He sets before us so that we continue using the strength and endurance He has built up in us, but in a different way so we do not lose heart and get off the treadmill of life.

Here are some of the scriptures the Lord set in my readings this morning that put my mind into this line of thinking:

And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.” Galatians 6:9

...be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 15:58

The work-out of life that God has set before each of us is just that, a work-out. Our job is to stay on the treadmill no matter what the next change in the program brings. We are called to endure, to be steadfast, to keep on walking and not get discouraged. In doing what we are called to do by just putting one foot in front of the other and keeping up the pace the Lord has set us upon is what then conditions our heart and lifts our soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart