Proper Nutrition

My foot has held fast to His steps;
I have kept His way and not turned aside.
I have not departed from the commandment of His lips;
I have treasured the words of His mouth
More than my necessary food.”
Job 23:11-12

As of late, I have had the opportunity to talk to some individuals about diet and how proper eating affects their overall health and the health of their families. I love to have someone referred to me or for me to come upon a person who is looking to find healing through diet because God has done so many miracles in my life and the life of my family as we have been obedient to His calling to change how we eat. Over these years of obedient eating and learning we have more and more come to understand the connection between the food we allow to enter our bodies and how our bodies then respond to what our lives require of us each day.

As I was thinking about a few conversations I had just yesterday along with another email asking me to pray for a dietary situation, all from families I had just been introduced to and who are looking to change their eating habits, I came upon the verse above from Job. In looking at this verse, I found it was to me just another reminder that even though my physical diet affects my body and mind, my spiritual diet also affects those same things and more.

How sweet are Your words to my taste,
Sweeter than honey to my mouth!”
Psalm 119:103

What a wonderful picture to think about the words of the Lord like sweet honey in the mouth. And just like eating properly can save our bodies from getting into a rut of disease, lethargy, and lusts for the physical needs of our body, so too can improper spiritual nutrition do the same for our hearts, minds, and souls.

Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul” 1 Peter 2:11

Jesus knows on our own we cannot fight these desires, but within the food He provides us in His word we are given all the counsel we need (that is in Him) and the truth that He gives to dwell in our hearts and minds which then keep us free from the chains of sin that hold us down from living a free life in Him.

Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31-32

Yes, our bodies need food and drink to stay sustained and live in this physical world. But, the spiritual food of the Lord and how that sustains us to do what is required of us as we live for the Lord, is all the more important of a factor in our Christian life. Both the spiritual and the physical work together within us to create a dwelling for the Holy Spirit and when balanced properly the two together create a life that can be used for the glory of God.

Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31

Over the years as our family has changed our diet and has also grown in the Lord, I have seen the greatest success in controlling the temptations we experience to eat towards more lustful desires a factor that directly correlates with how well we stay focused on our spiritual appetites. When we seek food for comfort over seeking the food of the Lord in His word and the promises He offers during the difficult trials of life, then we lean towards and give into those lustful temptations to eat easy and faster food than we normally do. But, when we turn to the word of the Lord first when we feel the need for comfort and filling, then we find that the Lord not only supplies all we need to stay fed within our minds and hearts, but also He makes sure we crave the proper nutrition we need for our bodies. This good food in all parts of our body is then all we desire to fill ourselves with so as to supply our hearts, minds, souls, and bodies with the good food needed to keep on living for Him.

With the holidays approaching, and food becoming more and more a focus of our days, I hope you take to heart the reasons you eat and how your eating trends are affected by your relationship with the Lord. We must all be diligent in the many areas of our lives, and eating is just one of those areas that our enemy would love to see the chains of sin tightened all the more instead of loosened and broken by the truth and freedom which living in Jesus provides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart