Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sensing God Instead of Making Sense

Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:10

There were many mixed feelings going around yesterday after everyone woke up and started to deal with the reality of the election results across our country. Among the moms on my home school email group there was a flood of scripture verses the ladies were sharing to encourage one another to think on the kingdom of God instead of the kingdom of man. I received so many calls and emails from friends and family with their encouragement for me after the loss of my race. And, I received one very special email that I wanted to share with you this morning because as I look at the scriptures God put before to share with you, the words of this friend are a fitting reminder of that fact that all things do not need to make sense, but that what we need amidst them is to sense God.

Here is the email that was sent to me yesterday:

I am feeling a deep sorrow for this state and nation today, yet for some strange reason, I have an anticipation of the wonderful ways that the Lord is going to show His glory to those who are His own. God is good!”

I believe it is good that we cannot do things on our own sometimes because in those times we cling to God in a greater way, we need to trust in His provision for ourselves and our loved ones, and in doing so we are able to point to God instead of our own works. We do not know how God is going to work all that is happening in the world together for His greatest glory, but we do know that this is His ultimate purpose and the events which transpired yesterday are only a minute fraction of His global and eternal plan which spans the length of time. As you take the time to read and meditate on the following verses, make sure you are looking at them and the messages they have to offer through the lens of eternity not just in the here and now.

'They will fight against you,
But they shall not prevail against you.
For I am with you' says the
Lord, 'to deliver you.'” Jeremiah 1:19

You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.” 1 John 4:4

It would be the greatest defeat achieved by our enemy to have any one of us believers taken down and out by giving into sadness and despair. We must each fight to keep our minds focused on truth and not allow the events of this world to hold us down from the greater purposes, lessons, and miracles the Lord wants to accomplish through this time in history. You are part of His plan and to determine to serve the Lord and look to Him who is “greater than he who is in the world” as the greatest part of each of your days is the beginning of seeing those wonderful things my friend eluted to in her email to me yesterday.

Where you focus you mind is where your senses will be trained to gather information (that was something I learned in a biology lesson with my children last year). The more you focus on the Lord, the less the things in this world will have a grip on your mind and in turn be able to drag you down. If you don't take more time to spend in God's truth over the lies of this world (news, social media, conversations, etc.) then you should prayerfully consider how you can either reduce those worldly influences or increase your godly ones. The battle is at hand friends and we cannot afford to let the thinking of this world control how we see our life situations or how we perceive God within them. To be faithful to the Lord is to be proactive in sensing His presence and not wasting the time to make sense of what He teaches us while we learn from Him and then obediently follow where He asks each of us to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment