Can You Believe Nothing is Impossible?

For with God nothing will be impossible.” Luke 1:37

 A few days ago, I was writing about a situation I have felt trapped in and how I really needed to make a concerted effort to turn it, my rock, over to the Lord and use all the energy I had to press into Him instead. Monday was that day which I set apart. And, lo and behold, Tuesday God started to break apart the rock! But, even before Tuesday came, God in His graciousness sent two different people my way on Monday who specifically said they had felt led to call me. I can't even tell you how much their words acted like a sweet balm to my weary heart, confirming the Lord's work in my life and my need to trust in His ability to do the seemingly impossible in my life. Looking back now at what has transpired in such a short time, I am asking myself once again, “Why did it take me to long to just stop and turn this issue over to the Lord with full abandon?  Why did I even think that I could do anything without Him?”

And then I look to Mary and Elizabeth from the bible and the situations they were asked to face which were even more impossible than what the Lord asked me to hand over to Him. To a virgin and to an old woman, the Lord gave the gift of carrying two of the most wonderful gifts to mankind, the man who was to pave the way for the Savior of the world, and the Savior Himself. To Mary, the angel said, nothing is impossible to God in referring to those two births that were to come about. And then Mary, very humbly, accepted the impossible she had been told would transpire in her life and the life of her relative Elizabeth.

Maybe it's because we've heard the above story of both Mary and Elizabeth so many times, that the awesome power of God displayed through these two births has lost its potency in our hearts. But, our God who did these very much humanly “impossible” things, is still the same God who is working in His all-consuming great power around us each and every day.  He has worked in this great power of His power from before the creation of the earth, through His plans to bring atoning salvation to all people, to the final resurrection of the dead and to the time of the New Jerusalem.  His power never fails and it keeps on working in it's perfect potency.

I will let AW Tozer from the chapter today on God's omnipotent attribute, from his book, The Attributes of God, explain that potency to a greater degree:

God gives power, but He doesn't give it away...God can't give anything of Himself away. God can't relinquish any of His power, because if He did, He would be less powerful than He was before...With effortless power, God did and is doing His redeeming work. We stand in awe and speak in hushed tones of His incarnation. How could it be that the great God Almighty could be conceived in the womb of a virgin? I don't know...The incarnation was easy for God. It may be hard for us to understand – a mystery of godliness – but it is not hard for God...And what about atonement?...Have you ever stopped to think about the resurrection? What a hard thing it is to think about...How is God going to find all that dust? I don't know! But I don't have to know...And so it is with forgiveness and cleansing from sin and the breaking of habits...I appeal to you – dare to believe that he Lord God omnipotent lives and with Him nothing shall be impossible. He has all the power there is. Your need is nothing compared with the great things God has done.” AW Tozer

Our problem is not that we have a God who is decreasing in power, but rather that we allow God's power to be removed from our lives. We try too hard to understand the impossible things God says He can do, and if we can't figure out these “impossible” things then we naturally turn away from them and instead give into our fears and act on them with our weak and feeble hands instead of pressing into God who is able to save us and work in our midst in ways we cannot understand.

Do not fear;
Zion, let not your hands be weak.
The
Lord your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save...”
Zephaniah 3:16-17

The key to having God work the impossible in your life is not trying harder and working smarter, but rather it is saying to the Lord as Mary said when God pressed her to believe He could do the impossible by making her the Lord of the Savior, Jesus Christ:

Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.” Luke 1:38

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart