Wrestling with God

...the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming.” 1 John 2:27-28

 God loves to teach us things, don't you agree? But, often times the lessons He has to teach us are more than just trite pieces of wisdom He shares for us to tuck away and pull out when we find ourselves in a spot. Just as my church studied today through the sermon my pastor preached and our follow-up small groups, God is One who wills Himself to wrestle with us in such ways that press His lessons so much into our physical, spiritual, and mental natures that they are forever changed.

I guess tonight was one of those times for me where I was taught a lesson that spiritually - put me in my place. First of all I have to admit I have been on a prideful rampant path that really hasn't been very healthy for me to be stomping along on. It really was a situation I needed to give up to the Lord, but even as I did find myself confessing in a manner that I knew I should be confessing, I also found myself talking these confessions back again – it was a cycle I felt a bit trapped in. But tonight that path was severed as I was rebuked about the manner I had been viewing this path on which I was on. In the rebuke I was given though, not only was I corrected, but also was afford the equivalence of colored transparency that took out of my vision a lot of the externals I had been focusing on. This “transparency” also showed me a new perspective towards the situation I hadn't been able to see amidst this recent chaos.

It is sometimes just too easy to take what God shows us in the times like I experienced today and dismiss them because they do not agree with our preconceived notions or ideas about what God would do, think, or act in regards to our daily paths. But, on the other hand, when the Spirit starts working on us and teaching us, in life's wrestled down moments, it is a good time to admit defeat to the God. What we have to realize above all things in those types of situations is that God has the ability to crush us at any moment He is wrestling with us. But because of His mercy and grace through Jesus, He instead chooses to let us get up and limp on with what He has taken the time to reveal to us as we wrestled with Him. It is these instances in life that also tend to be the ones that make us or break us for usefulness within the hands of God.

I guess tonight I just learned the hard lesson again that God always has for us, and that is He wins every wrestling match. But the truth beyond His ability to prevail over us every single time is the fact that those take down moments in our lives are what we need for us to be willing to allow Him to abide in us and teach us what we need to learn in order to have confidence that our paths are taking us always closer to Him and His kingdom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surrendered Heart